International Day of Persons with Disabilities
By Resolution 47/3 1992, the UN General Assembly proclaimed 3 December each year, the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD). This celebration is an opportunity to make a pause to assess the progress made in the field of the development of persons with disabilities, identify challenges and look to the future, taking into account new challenges. This is also the time to share their abilities, potential, talents and to mobilize the international community for the support of the dignity and well-being of persons with disabilities.
In Cameroon where this International Day is actively celebrated every year since its inception under the theme chosen by the UN, the main results are generally expected to include:
- The actual celebration of that day;
- Awareness of the national community on the subject;
- Research strategies taking into account sectoral concerns of persons with disabilities.
a- General Objective
Mobilize the national community on the integration of disabled and vulnerable approach in programmes and projects.
b- Specific Objectives
- Popularize laws and regulatory texts relating to the protection and promotion of persons with disabilities;
- Engage governments and private partners as well as integrate the disability approach and specific actions in favour of persons with disabilities;
- Sensitize the national community on the theme of the day;
- Identify mechanisms and strategies of involvement of persons with disabilities in the development process;
- Identify social barriers against persons with disabilities;
- Communication for Behavioural Change (CCC) for persons with disabilities;
- Advocacy and lobbying for a better consideration of the concerns of persons with disabilities in development programmes;
- Communication on the implementation of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and national legal instruments for the protection and promotion of the rights of persons with disabilities;
- Strengthening of prevention of disability, rehabilitation and socio-economic integration of persons with disabilities;
- The capacity of persons with disabilities and their leadership for participation in development organizations;
- Advocacy for the representation of persons with disabilities in public and political life;
- Promoting actions of persons with disabilities and their leadership to empowerment structures;
- The signing of partnership agreements with specialized structures for training and professional integration.
Preparatory meetings, socio-educational exchanges, sports, entertainment, communication for the change of behaviour and view, the third awareness day under the theme: Let us love our children with disabilities - take our children out for exhibition, presentation of the new edition of the Handbook on Accessibility of Persons with Disabilities to Education; Launching and closing ceremonies, sermons and homilies in the chapels, churches and mosques, etc.
Public, para-public and private administrations, international organizations, civil society organizations, religious communities and organizations of Persons with Disabilities.
VI- RECENT TOPICS
2012: "Overcoming barriers to encourage the emergence of an accessible and inclusive society for all";
2011: "Together for a better world for all: Including persons with disabilities in development";
2010: "Keeping the promise: Mainstreaming disability in the Millennium Development for 2015 and beyond."